Inauguration Ceremony and Panel Discussions: India Chair of World Trade Organization’s Chairs Programme
About the Organiser
Indian Institute of Foreign Trade with the support of the Centre for Trade and Investment Law and the Centre for WTO Studies is organising the panel discussion. The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade is a leading business school in India.
Established in 1963, it works as an autonomous body under the Ministry of Commerce & Industry, Government of India.
About the Event
The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi with the support of the Centre for Trade and Investment Law and the Centre for WTO Studies organising the ‘Inauguration Ceremony of the India Chair of World Trade Organization’s Chairs Programme’ on October 14, 2022, from 10.00 AM to 04.15 PM at Auditorium, Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi.
Shri. Sunil Barthwal, Hon’ble Commerce Secretary, Government of India will deliver Chancellor’s Address.
Mr. Xiangchen Zhang, Deputy Director-General, World Trade Organization, Geneva and Dr. Werner Zdouc, Director, WTO Chairs Programme (KMD) and Shri Amit Yadav, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Commerce and Industry, Government of India will also address during this event.
The inauguration will be followed by three-panel discussions on:
Reinvigorating the Dispute Settlement Mechanism of the WTO;
Balancing Preferential and Multilateral Approaches to Free Trade; and
Macroeconomic Crisis and Trade Policy
The panels consist of eminent economists, law academics, and policy experts in the field of international trade.
Event Schedule and Panellists
Panel Discussion 1: Reinvigorating the Dispute Settlement Mechanism of the WTO from 11:30 AM to 12:45 PM
Session Chair: Ambassador Ujal Singh Bhatia, India’s former Ambassador to WTO and former Chairman of the WTO Appellate Body
• Dr. Werner Zdouc, WTO Chairs Programme and former Director of the WTO Appellate Body Secretariat
• Mr. Parthsarthi Jha, Partner, Competition Law & Policy and International Trade & Customs, Economic Laws Practice
• Ms. R. V. Anuradha, Partner, Clarus Law Associates, New Delhi
• Dr. Prabhash Ranjan, Professor and Vice-Dean (Continuing Education), Jindal Global Law School
• Ms. Gitanjali Brandon, Deputy Secretary (Pakistan), PIA Division, Ministry of External Affairs
Panel Discussion 2: Balancing Preferential and Multilateral Approaches to Free Trade from 12:45 PM to 2:00 PM
Moderator: Dr. James J. Nedumpara, Head, Centre for Trade and Investment Law
• Ambassador J. S. Deepak, Senior Advisor, STL and Distinguished Fellow, Observer Research Foundation (ORF) and Former Ambassador & Permanent Representative of India to the WTO
• Dr. Anup Wadhawan, Former Commerce Secretary, Government of India
• Mr. V. Lakshmikumaran, Founder and Managing Partner, Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan Attorneys, New Delhi
• Dr. Biswajit Dhar, Professor, Centre for Economic Studies and Planning, School of Social Sciences, Jawaharlal Nehru University, India
Panel Discussion 3: Macroeconomic Crisis and Trade Policy from 3:00 PM to 4:15 PM
Session Chair: Prof. V. K. Malhotra, Member Secretary, Indian Council for Social Science Research, New Delhi
• Dr. John Hancock, Counsellor, Policy Development, Economic Research and Statistics Division, World Trade Organization, Geneva
• Dr. Marc Auboin, Counsellor, Economic Research and Statistics Division, World Trade Organization, Geneva
• Dr. Veena Jha, Former Coordinator, UNCTAD India Programme
• Dr. Leila Choukroune, Professor of International Law, University of Portsmouth
Who is it for?
Open to everyone
Auditorium, IIFT, Block-II, B-21, NRPC Colony, Block B, Qutab Institutional Area, New Delhi, Delhi 110016
As this is an in-person event, to attend you are requested to email email@example.com for confirmation.
For further information, please contact:
Ms. Neha Bansal, Training Coordinator, Centre for Trade and Investment Law at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
Mr. Ridhish Rajvanshi, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for Trade and Investment Law at email@example.com
For more information click here here.